Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Dan Merkur: Hermeticism vs. Gnosticism

Hermetism is often and wrongly confused with Gnosticism, which similarly originated in Egypt in roughly the same era. For present purposes, a few salient points of contrast will suffice. Like the God of Stoicism, the Hermetic God was omnipresent and omniscient through the material cosmos. In Gnosticism, by contrast, God was transcendent, and the physical universe was an evil place created by an evil Demiurge (van den Broek 1998). Hermetic ethics celebrated the divine within the world; Gnostic ethics were abstemious, ascetic efforts to escape from the world (Mahé 1998).

Stages of Ascension in Hermetic Rebirth

1 comment:

  1. Hi there!

    I am quite new to the amazing world of Gnostic Art, and I'd like to thank you for your inspiration... and also extend my hand of friendship.

    I'm slowly exploring myself, and would love to know if you think I am on the right track?

    I have built a website - http://markgolding.co.uk/home

    and also a Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Healing-Magic/213593625344837

    I hope you like my experiments, and again, thank you for your inspiration!

    High Regards

    mark

    ReplyDelete